Friday, November 13, 2009

setting text to rhythm

When setting the text of my poem to rhythm I wanted to set it naturally, but with expression and with some elements of coherence and surprise. I created coherence by using the same rhythmic figure (a triplet) on the words that rhymed, and I created some surprises by proloning some words and delivering words later then expected.

After showing the text to my class I recieved some good comments, they said that it seemed to be set naturally, but they also mentioned some things that could be changed. It was brought up that singers like long notes so they can show off their sound, so it was recommended that I put longer note values when I write my piece. I also learned how to set the text under the notes in terms of dashes bewteen broken words and lines between words.

My next step is to dig in and start composing.

No comments:

Post a Comment