Saturday, February 27, 2010

Three studies in Rhythm for Solo Piano

I passed in my pieces for solo piano last week, and I put them into a set of three studies in rhythm for solo piano. At first when approaching this project I had not planned to do this, it just happened that my three pieces took 3 different rhythmic approaches.

I have not discussed my last piece so I will take the time to do so now. My last study, in a group of 3 takes a different approach then my first two studies. This study is quite quick and for the most part has two different lines. A bass line in the left hand and a melody line in the right hand. At first the piece presents a number of different bass and melodic lines, each line almost has a different key center and it occurs in different time signatures. Later in the piece I bring back these bass lines but I put another melody line over the bass line, but these lines are not same in length. The bass line may repeat 6 times while the melody line repeats 9 times. The end of the piece is based on material heard at the beginning of the piece but each time it is repeated, the pattern loses a beat. This gives the end of the piece a lopsided feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment