Sunday, January 17, 2010

Piano solo #1

I presented my first of three piano solo's in class on Thursday, and was for the most part I was happy with my work, and the comments I received in class. As per usual it was a huge rush to get my work ready to present on Thursday so not everything was exactly how I wanted it sound, but I also didn't have enough time to really experiment; so compromises were made. My piece was more or less based on the c minor scale, but the 7th was raised to a b natural and I left out the d in the scale. I agree with Dr. Ross when he said that it would be interesting to add in some accidentals. The way I went about planning my piece was on a series of chords that were played in the left hand and then the melody would obviously play on top in the right. In terms of adding accidentals I think I will be strict with the progression in the bass but definitely add some new things to the melody. Another comment that was brought up in class was directed toward one of my transitions.....or lack there of. A fellow student made the comment that going from one section to another didn't really flow as the section previous; I agree with my classmate and plan on creating a better transition. For myself I find that transitions can be one of the toughest parts of a piece to write. I wish it was something that just came naturally, the ability to write transitions.

No comments:

Post a Comment